Thursday 9 May 2013

Red Carpet: Costume Institute Gala 2013- Best Dressed

As us lovers of fashion know The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute (in New York) holds a gala each year celebrating the opening of  the fashion exhibit of that year. Each year has a theme and this year the theme is "PUNK: Chaos To Couture" and even though the theme can merely be a starting point for attendees fashion choices that night, I usually love to see and attendee take that theme, run with it and use it to create the most incredible costume that basically people don't get to wear all that often. So when I first heard the theme of this years Costume Institute Gala was Punk I must admit I got a little excited at the prospect of all the Avant-garde costumes and outfits that would be displayed on the red carpet and also the thought of seeing an abundance of Vivienne Westwood designs. Sadly I was underwhelmed and the fashion choices of a lot of the attendees of Monday's gala, not may people seemed to understand what Punk really is and how to interpret it and not to mention how there were only three attendees from what I could see wearing Vivienne Westwood. Even though this years red carpet was slightly underwhelming, I still managed to pick out more than a few looks that I loved on the night, here's my choices of best dressed (in order of favourites).


Anja Rubik wearing Anthony Vacarrello & Repossi jewels.
Anja and Miley Cyrus seemed to be the only two people of the night who really understood the Punk theme- that it's an attitude, a presence and not just about wearing crazy make-up and over styling an outfit that so many people in attendance did.
Miley Cyrus wearing Marc Jacobs dress & Eddie Borgo jewels.
This is complete pefection to me, it's the best Miley has ever looked I think and I never thought I would say Miley is one of my best dressed at the Met Gala, but she is. She completely got the punk look right, the dress fits pefectly and sure it's quite refined and simple but that's what makes it a beautiful look from head to toe, even the cray cray punk hair.

Sarah Jessica Parker wearing a custom Giles dress, Philip Treacy headpiece & custom Christian Louboutin boots.
Making Carrie Bradshaw proud, this is what I imagine Punk Royalty would look like, SJP looks incredible and the custom plaid Louboutin boots are awesome. Enough said.


Detail of the Philip Treacy headpiece.


Anne Hathaway wearing a vintage Valentino dress.
I'm not usually a huge fan of Anne and her red carpet choices but this I loved. I never thought blonde hair would suit her either, but it does. I also think this look would not have worked so much without the blonde hair so I give her credit for making that bold change. This is Haute Couture Punk and I'm getting strong Annie Lennox circa 1980's vibes from this look. 


Giovanna Bataglia wearing Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda.
I love this entire look and even though some people might think it's not quite Punk, I think it's more of a soft, feminine, Haute Couture type of Punk. She looks beautiful.
Joan Smalls wearing Tom Ford (pictured with the designer)
She looks flawless as always, very rarely gets it wrong on the red carpet.


Gisele Bündchen wearing Anthony Vacarrello dress & shoes, David Yurman jewels.
I love this dress and I only wish she had done something more exciting with her hair or makeup, both look great but it's the Costume Institute Gala, she could have gone a bit more edgy. But I had to post the picture below as well to show how incredible she looks (she had her second baby only a few months ago, WOW)



Cara Delevigne wearing Burberry Prorsum.
Now- I do not care for her chosen hairstyle, I think she should have work it up in some way, and I don't like the choice of clutch either. So you would wonder why is she one of my best dressed, well I love that dress it's striking and has an effortless look about it, and the studs look so cool.


Sienna Miller wearing Burberry Prorsum, Maison Michel headpiece with Repossi, Eddie Borgo & Genevieve Jones jewels.
This is the best Sienna has looked in a long time, I think her recent fashion choices haven't been memorable, but this is stunning. Laid-back, effortless Punk.


Taylor Tomasi Hill wearing Thom Browne dress (pictured with the designer) & Alaia shoes.
Feminine, princess-like Punk. Love the print on the dress and also the spike detail on the shoulder straps. Beautiful.


Leelee Sobieski wearing Dior Haute Couture.
I agree nothing Punk-ish about it but it's absolutely beautiful. The embroidered sheer sleeves/gloves take this dress for simple to striking and elegant instantly.


Karolina Kurkova wearing a Mary Katrantzou dress & Manolo Blahnik shoes.
 Kaarolina was my ultimate favourite last year at the Gala wearing that incredible Rachel Zoe sequined gown with matching turban. This year she wasn't my favourite, but I love Karolina, I do like this look and she looks stunning.


Rooney Mara wearing Givenchy Haute Couture.
It's not Punk looking, it looks bridal-ish and very like Givenchy looks I've seen many times before but, the dress fits beautifully and it suits her usual 'style'. I just wish she could have gone more stand-out and edgy with her look because she is one of the few people that could actually pull it off well. Oh well, she still looks beautiful.


Christina Ricci wearing Vivienne Westwood Couture dress, Salvatore Ferragamo clutch & Casadei shoes.
I love nearly the entire look. The clutch is way too big and casual for the event and I don't care for the limp hair-do. On the other hand the dress look great on her petite frame and accentuated her  shape in all the right places and the shoes and the sheer stockings really bring the look together.
 


Madonna wearing Givenchy Haute Couture & Casadei shoes.
This is more of a Punk costume rather than Punk influenced but still at least she embraced the theme. This is Madonna after all and she looks pretty incredible even though I wish her ass wasn't hanging out, it's time to put that away.

 

 
Photo credit: Vogue US, Vogue China, Vogue.fr, Zimbio

No comments:

Post a Comment